As a teacher my goal is for Kundalini Yoga tools and technology to be accessible to everyone
WHAT IS KUNDALINI YOGA?
Kundalini Yoga is called the Yoga of Awareness. It is a dynamic, powerful tool that is designed to give you an experience of your soul.
In KY we harness the mental, physical, and nervous energies of the body and put them under the domain of the will, which is the instrument of the soul.
This technology precisely and consciously combines breath, mudra, eye-focus, mantra, body locks, and postures to balance the glandular system, strengthen the nervous system, expand lung capacity, and purifiy the blood.
It brings balance to the body, mind, and soul.
KY is not a religion. When we apply the technology of Kundalini Yoga to our bodies and minds, it has the effect of uplifting the spirit. It is for everyone. It is universal and nondenominational.
KY is a yoga for householders, for people who have to cope with the daily challenges and stresses of holding jobs, raising families, and managing businesses. It is a path for everyone who wants the skills to cope successfully with the challenges of our times.
Welcome to a wonderful, powerful path to a healthy, happy, holy life!
WHAT YOU NEED TO KNOW FOR A YOGA CLASS
Before You Begin:
• Consume only a light snack and water in the 2 – 3 hours prior to practicing.
• Have water in a container handy.
• Wear comfortable clothing and a natural-fiber head covering if you wish (e.g., bandana, scarf, cap). Covering the head keeps your energy and focus internal.
• Have a yoga mat or blanket (natural fiber) to sit on and a shawl or second blanket to cover yourself during relaxation and meditation.
• Have a pillow or cushion to elevate yourself on during meditation and seated postures if needed.
During Your Practice:
• Kundalini Yoga is the yoga of awareness. Listen to your body; do what works for you.
• Drink water as needed between exercises.
• If you need to modify any of the exercises, visualize yourself doing the posture instead and come back into the pose if you can.
After Your Practice:
• Drink lots of water. Pay attention to your physical, emotional, and mental self.
• Incorporate what you experienced in class into the rest of your life, particularly the “simple” things like long, deep breathing and a graceful, royal posture.
KEY MANTRA'S IN A CLASS
A central aspect Kundalini Yoga is the conscious application of ancient mantras and modern positive affirmations.
Mantras are typically in Gurmukhi, a sacred Indian language, and occasionally, in English. These mantras contain the vibrations of peace, prosperity, connection, and many other qualities and are understood by their impact, even if the meaning of each word is not known.
1. Ong Namo Guru Dev Namo
We start out every class with the Adi Mantra, chanted 3 times. We “tune in” with this mental projection using sound to center within the higher self and spiritually guide the teacher and the student. Meaning: ”I bow to the subtle divine wisdom, the divine teacher within.“
2. Aad Guray Nameh
The Mangala Charran Mantra is often chanted second, after the Adi Mantra in a Kundalini Yoga class. The worlds, “Aad Guray Nameh, Jugaad guray nameh, Sat guray nameh, Siree guroo dayv-ay nameh,” translates to: “I bow to the primal wisdom, I bow to the wisdom true through the ages, I bow to the true wisdom, I bow to the great unseen wisdom.”
As you chant, imagine your magnetic field sounded with protective light and the clouds of doubt are cleared away. This mantra can also be used for protection during the day or before traveling.
3. Sat Nam
Truth is my identity.
This mantra reinforces the divine consciousness in everyone. It is used as a greeting as well as the mantra for Kundalini Yoga exercises, inhaling Sat (truth), exhaling Nam (name, identity).
Wow! The divine inner teacher, the dispeller of darkness is beyond description!
This mantra expresses the indescribable experience of going from darkness to light. It is a mantra of infinite ecstasy.
5. Long Time Sun
It is a tradition that a Kundalini Yoga class ends with the song “Long Time Sun” song.
“May the long time sun shine upon you, all love surround you, and the pure light within you, guide your way on.” These beautiful words are followed by chanting a short “Sat” and long “Nam.” Sat Nam means, “My Identity is truth/I am Truth.”